Saturday 20 February 2016

Millenium City paralyzed


Curfew!    Jaat Protest!

This Jaat protest has created a big chaos and abyss all around in various parts of Haryana. Let me give an insight of this agitation and protests in my city.

9:00 am : An usual  winter morning. Working in office, cheerfully planning the weekend visit to home.
12:30 pm: Colleagues working in afternoon shift come to office, gasping and telling how they had to walk in the scorching  noon heat to reach to office because of agitation by Jaat community- for reservation in government jobs and educational areas.


2:30 pm: I am deep into my thoughts- “How will I go back to home in Punjab? Its weekend and I want to be with family! I have to complete an important paper work as soon as possible.”  Keeping the fingers crossed, I am continuously praying that I reach back to Punjab anyhow.
4:30 pm:                                                **Phone beeps**
Here’s the message from the cab agencies that the shuttles won’t  operate  because of the disturbances in the city.
                                                       **Office emergency alarm beeps**
The announcement says- “The office transport will be delayed because of the tensed condition outside.”
And there comes the mail from office transport depicting  the safer routes to take from office.
5:00 pm: I get off from my seat. Leave the bay. And I asked few autowalaas to drop me to the nearest metro.
Each of them replied- “We’ll drop you at the traffic lights on the way to metro. Get down there and walk for a kilometer approximately. And then take another shared auto to metro station.
I called up my dad. He said to stay back there in Gurgaon and not to come home.
5:30 pm: I agreed with my dad and decided to stay back. I had started walking because roads were blocked.
And to my utter shock I see the Jaat people sitting on the manjaas with hookah in hands as if they are in the party or club.
Roads all blocked, city to a hault, lives came to standstill!
6:00 pm: I somehow managed to get an auto.And being worried for my important work back in Punjab, I direct this autowalla to take me to Huda metro station.
With blocked roads, mayhem all around, I reached metro station within 30 minutes.
6:30 pm: Its been a year I am in this city but this was the longes(est)  queue  I have ever seen at the metro security.
This Jaat protest has taken the toll on each and everyone.
6:40 pm: I am sitting in metro, making an intelligent guess on what time I’ll reach Kashmere Gate. I was already late and I don’t prefer travelling that much late at night.
7:35 pm: I reach ISBT, Kashmere Gate.
                                                                **Shocked**
There is so much crowd at the platforms. No bus to take me to home. No hope to get the bus. People opting to either  go back or stay in guest house.
I call up my dad. He starts scolding that why I didn’t stay back there.
I decide to go back to Gurgaon.

8:00 pm: Back in metro. I call up my rommie and ask her the status of the city there. She says its fine here but it wouldn’t be safe to take an auto from metro station to pg alone at night as midnight is blocked.
                                                                **Huff**
I call up my cousin to drop me back. He agrees and says to reach at the specific metro station so he would pick me up from there.
But to add on to that, there started the melodrama of the family. And believe me, it was natural and expected because drama runs in our veins being an Indian Punjabi family.
Countless phones and messages.
Dad saying to head towards Gurgaon and not to wait for cousin. He worriedly saying “I am coming to you.”
And I am like, “Papa, Stop! Does this make any sense? You’ll reach here by tomorrow and I am fine here. Nothing has happened to me.”
I call up my best friend in Punjab who is also worried for me and say him to ask his brother to drop me directly to Gurgaon as dad is not allowing me to wait for my cousin in Delhi.
As always, this buoy being my helping mascot talked to his bro. And its his bro’s birthday. Still he agreed to come to drop me home safely.
9:30 pm: I reach Gurgaon. And the Millenium City is back to its life! This b’day boy drops me home safely and I call back my dad and all concerned rishtedaars that I have safely reached to PG.

Although the curfew has been imposed in several cities of Haryana but in  Gurgaon its all well.


P.S. These agitation protests would be of what help? By doing so , you people are disrupting the lives of so many people.  The things can be handled through other ways as well.


No comments:

Post a Comment